Music to the ears of cash-strapped travellers, Japan working holiday visas are free for most nationalities! Currently, only UK passport holders need to pay a visa fee. And even then, it’s only £20. (Which in UK money is approximately ten cups of tea or three portions of fish and chips. Choose your currency).
More confusing than crossing the road at Tokyo’s Shibuya Crossing, the length of visa granted, eligibility requirements and number of visas available each year vary per nationality. Don’t worry, once you’ve booked onto our Work Japan program, our BUNAC team will guide you through the application process. All applicants must visit a Japanese Embassy in person to obtain their visa, so we advise applying well in advance of your departure date.
- Must be living in Australia to apply
- Must hold an Australian passport
- The visa is valid for a total of 12 months
- You will initially be granted a 6-month visa, and then must apply for an extension to 12 months before your visa expires
- You must apply for your visa extension while you are in Japan
- You are only eligible for one Japan working holiday visa in your lifetime
- Working holiday visas are free of charge for Australian nationals
- You must have support funds of AUD $2,500 and proof of a return/onward flight, or AUD $3,500 if entering Japan on a one-way ticket
- Please note that support funds are subject to change by the Japanese Government and can vary from state to state. Check here to see the most up to date information.
The visa allows you to
- Work in Japan for up to 12 months, however it is advisable that you move jobs every 3 months
- Please note that you are not allowed to work in nightclubs, dance halls and gambling venues
- Our Work Japan program includes all the support you need to obtain your Japanese working holiday visa
- You will have to go in-person to the Embassy of Japan in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns or Perth to obtain your visa
- You can apply for your visa for up to one year prior to departure
If you’re set on working a ski season but aren’t eligible for our Work Japan program or your country’s Japan visa allocation has run out, check to see if you’re eligible for a working holiday in New Zealand or working holiday in Canada. Our Ultimate Canada package even hooks you up with a pre-arranged ski season or summer resort job in British Columbia (BC), Alberta or Ontario.