What Do I Need to Work at a Summer Camp in Canada?

  • Be aged 18 or over (you must be 18 by June 1st)
  • Have a genuine desire and interest to work with children (experience working with children is desirable)
  • Speak fluent English
  • Have no criminal record
  • Feel at home in an active, outdoors environment
  • Be friendly, energetic and have heaps of enthusiasm
  • Be able to provide two references
  • Be available to leave for Canada by June 22nd and stay through till the end of August

What Visa do I need to work at a Summer Camp in Canada?

There are two visas you can work at a Summer Camp in Canada on.

  • The IEC Working Holiday visa (which will allow you to live and work in Canada for up to 24 months)
  • Or apply for an Employer Specific Work Permit. (If you are planning on coming home after your Summer Camp Canada job ends, you will just need the Employer Specific Work Permit)

How much is an Employer Specific Work Permit?

The Employer Specific Work Permit costs $155 CAD (some charitable/religious Camp placements are exempt from this fee).

You will also need to pay for a biometrics fee ($85) on arrival in to Canada. The documentation is prepared online after you are placed at a Camp and you will present the paperwork for approval at the Canadian airport you fly into. More information on this process will be provided once you're placed.

Find out more about how much Summer Camp Canada costs here.