Working holiday travel insurance

Take cover!

Incoming trip? It’s time to take cover. We require all our BUNAC travellers to have travel insurance before taking part on our programs. Here’s why you need it and how we can help.

Protecting you and your trip

Travel insurance is the superhero of the travel world. Hear us out. Travel insurance protects your travel plans before you go, covers you for lost and stolen items while you’re away, and covers your medical expenses and costs to return home if you’re ill or have an accident. In short, it gives you the power to travel with peace of mind – which in our eyes, is pretty much priceless. And as we happen to think our travellers are also pretty priceless, we want to make sure you’re adequately covered for your trip.

Pink brush stroke positioned on the left side
For UK

For UK travellers

We wouldn’t trust your trip with just anyone. We’ve teamed up with Go Walkabout Insurance to offer no obligation quotes for our BUNAC participants. Taking care of travellers since 1999, their range of specialist policies are designed to meet our program requirements, and include working holiday insurance, long stay and backpacker insurance, summer camp USA insurance, and adventure sports and activities insurance. Get a quote now.

Other passport

Other passport holders

For all non-UK passport holders booked onto the Intern in Britain program, we have partnered with Global Secutive to offer a comprehensive medical insurance, with the option to add on baggage and trip cancellation cover. Get a quote now.

The cost of not having travel insurance

*Sharp intake of breath*. No one needs to be making this phone call home...


USD $130,000

The cost of treating a stomach bug or infection in a US hospital with flights home.


EUR €36,000

The cost of surgery after a quad bike accident in Greece with flights home.


EUR €18,000

The cost of surgery for a broken leg in a Spanish hospital with flights home.


Travel insurance checklist

Travel insurance is the last thing you want to think about, but the first thing you need when things go wrong. On any policy, make sure you check the following:

  • Are you covered to work, teach or volunteer abroad? (Not all standard holiday policies cover this)
  • Does your visa stipulate that you must have a certain amount of medical or repatriation cover?
  • If travelling on an annual policy, are you within the permitted number of days for a single trip?
  • If you’re travelling to the USA or Canada, does your worldwide policy include North America?
  • If you’re planning a ski season, do you have wintersports cover for all or part of your trip?
Blue brush stroke positioned on the right side

Travel insurance FAQs

When should I buy travel insurance?

Most insurers won’t allow you to purchase travel insurance when you’re overseas, so you must buy your policy in your home country before you go. We’d recommend buying your insurance once your visa is confirmed and you’ve started to book flights and pay for your program cost. Although your policy won’t start until the day you depart, you’ll be covered for cancellation (within your policy conditions) from the day of purchase.

What if I already have insurance?

Is travel insurance included on my J-1 visa?

What happens if I need to cancel due to COVID-19?

Travel with confidence


24/7 help and support

We’re always there when you call


60 years of adventures

Over 500,000 happy travellers


No worries low deposits

Book now, start planning, pay later


Working holiday experts

All our team have worked the world