To book on to Work & Travel UK, you’ll need to have the right to work in the UK either with a valid temporary visa (typically Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme or Ancestry Visa).

US citizens are not eligible for the required visa for this program, however may still be eligible to be an Intern in Britain participant.

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa

Eligible countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, and Taiwan.

To be eligible for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa there are a few simple requirements you need to check off first:

  • You’re 18 to 30 years old
  • You must have £2,530 in savings
  • For Hong Kong and the Republic of Korea you’ll need a sponsorship reference number before you apply. You can find more information here.

UK Ancestry visa

To be eligible for a UK Ancestry visa you must prove that you:

  • You are a Commonwealth Citizen here.
  • Show proof one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (You cannot claim UK ancestry through step-parents)
  • You're 17 or over
  • You must have £1,600 in savings
  • Can and plan to work in the UK

You can find more information here.

EAA Passport and other Passport Holders

Following the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union, freedom of movement ended at 11pm on 31 December 2020. The UK has introduced a points-based immigration system that applies to anyone who wants to come to live, study or work in the UK

To check your visa requirements please see here or contact BUNAC for more information.

Irish citizens can continue to freely enter, live and work in the UK. If you are an Irish citizen, you do not need permission to enter or remain in the UK, including a visa, any form of residence permit or employment permit.

*Correct as of June 2021