Work Canada BUNAC | Work Canada | Frequently Asked Questions

Start planning your Working Holiday to Canada in 2022.


At a Glance

Costs from




When should I apply for the Work Canada program?

You can book on to the Work Canada program year round. Visas are limited and were released on the 1st March 2021, so we recommend early applications. Release dates differ from year to year.

Who can apply for the Work Canada program?

You can find the list of nationalities eligible for the Working Holiday Visa here.

I have been on the Work Canada program before, can I go again?

If you participated in IEC before 2015 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2015 are no longer eligible to apply.

Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On Essentials you will have access to our offices in Toronto and Vancouver, which are a great place to meet like-minded travelers, The team in our offices run regular social events to help you to settle in, make new friends and get the most out of your experience. For Ultimate members you will be guaranteed a job with other BUNACers so there is plenty of opportunity to make friends.

What will it cost?

For full program costs, please see here.

What's included in my BUNAC support program?

We are able to offer a full range of travel and support products including insurance and work support, as well as accommodation and assistance with your visa application while undertaking your working adventure to Canada.


Where will I live?
  • **[Essentials] Our partner organization advertises properties with rooms available and are on hand to help you find somewhere to live once you get to Canada.
  • Ultimate - All our Ultimate employers include either subsidized accommodation or accommodation assistance, and you will be living with other BUNACers on the program.


How will you help me find work?
  • Essentials - We are here to offer advice and support. Once you are on the program, you will have access to a BUNAC Work Canada Handbook which has useful advice on job hunting and lists the best websites to use for your search. Although for 2021 you will need a job offer before being issued with your working holiday visa - the team in Canada are on hand to help with every aspect of your working holiday, including helping you obtain your SIN (Social Insurance Number) which you will need before you begin working.
  • Ultimate - You will be guaranteed job interviews on our Ultimate program. You will interview for the position whilst at home. You will need to be available to work for the full summer or winter resort season (Summer - June until September / Winter - November until March/April).
Do I need to have a pre-arranged job?

Yes, for 2021 everyone travelling to Canada will need a pre-arranged job to be issued with a working holiday visa.

What kind of work do people do?

You can do almost anything on this work permit. A lot of people tend to do casual work as this is relatively easy to find e.g. working in a shop, restaurant or hotel. However, as the visa is for 24 months it is possible to find a more career related job (e.g. if you are a qualified teacher, you can get a teaching job in Canada). Ski resorts are popular destinations for skiing enthusiasts to work during the winter season and many of the employers in these resorts offer a ski pass as a perk of the job.

How long can I work for?

The Canadian work permit is very flexible. It allows you to work anywhere in Canada. You can go for 3 months or up to 24 months – it’s up to you. There are no restrictions on how long you can work for any one company so you can stay in the same job for the full 24 months or move on to another employer whenever you want.

Am I guaranteed a job on the Ultimate program?

We can guarantee up to three interviews with our Canadian employers. Ultimately, the decision if you are hired or not is that of the employer so please be aware your first choice of location is not guaranteed.


Do I have to use the BUNAC insurance policy?

No, you can arrange your own insurance but you are required to have comprehensive health care and repatriation insurance valid for the entire duration of your permit. Once on the program, we can email you information on what an insurance policy should cover e.g. medical expenses, repatriations, single trip cover etc. BUNAC is proud to work with some of the best insurance providers in the business, designed especially for an extended working holiday overseas. You can get a quote here.