Intern in Britain Finding a UK Internship
Book your Intern in Britain experience today!BOOK NOW
Finding a UK Internship
Like finding a job, finding an internship takes research and persistence. Read on for our top tips:
Top tips for finding your UK internship
- Get Googling! Research companies in your chosen industry, narrowed down by location. Make a list and start contacting them to explain what an asset you'd be as their new international intern! Be sure to mention that BUNAC will be helping with your sponsorship and visa.
- Look close to home. Research international companies based in the country you already live in and see if they have a UK division.
- Use your connections. Visit your University Career Services or International Education Office. Reach out to your tutors, professors and even friends and family. They may have some connections in the UK, or resources you can use.
- Useful Websites
- Placement Companies. Take the stress and hard work out of finding an internship. You can find a list of our partner placement companies here.
Your Internship Requirements
We want you to get the most out of your internship in Britain, so there are a few simple requirements your placement must meet.
- Be a maximum of six months in duration
- Be at least 25 hours per week
- Be a supernumerary position; the role is designed specifically for an intern and not a permanent employee
- Include complex activities rather than routine tasks, a good level of rotation and clear objectives, backed up with a detailed training plan
- Include enough supervision from the employer. In most cases, we look for a full-time staff to intern ratio of at least 5:1
- If it is a paid internship - it must meet National Minimum wage legislation
- If it is an unpaid internship - it must comply with UK volunteer rights
- The company you intern at should be registered with Companies House for at least the previous 12 months
- We are unable to issue Certificate of Sponsorship for internships in the hospitality or healthcare industries
I've found my internship!
Congratulations! Apply for the Intern in Britain program here.